SKA Energy’s newly constructed state-of-the-art fuel storage facility is located in the Khor Al-Zubair Free Zone Port in Southern Iraq. Its strategic position makes it ideal to support the fast growing domestic and international oil companies’ fuel requirements.
This ultra modern facility is built in compliance with the most advanced industry technologies and is able to provide uninterrupted 24/7 fuel supply to our clients. On 3rd September 2013, SKA Energy made history as the first commercial company to legally import petroleum products into Iraq using this facility.
This facility is by far the largest and most advanced in the country. Some of the key features include:
- to facilitate quick and secure off- loading from marine vessels, the tank farm is connected to the port-side jetty via a 1.2 kilometers-long steel pipeline, which in turn is connected to a purpose built off-loading manifold with 4 x discharge points installed at the jetty.
- the capacity of 4 x 5,000 mt mild steel tanks, constructed in accordance with API standards
- for optimum safety, all storage tanks are fitted with Endress + Hauser Radar Gauging systems with ‘Hi-Hi’ and ‘Low-Low’ safety sensors. Tank information is conveyed by pressure transmitters and thermo-probes via specialist software which is monitored by trained fuel system control experts.
- to maximize efficiency, the fuelling gantry with 9 top-loading bays, is capable of simultaneously loading nine trucks at the same time. Each bay consists of folding stairways, safety harnesses, digital flow meters and ‘Toptech’ SMP units which support a terminal management system with integrated controls for automated deliveries.
- with safety a top priority, the facility is installed with a foam and water firefighting system, designed to meet NFPA standards and a variety of safety and environmental protection features.
This facility is a substantial investment by SKA Energy and is a clear indication of our long-term commitment to benefit Iraq and its people. Our expansion is already underway to grow the capacity to 80,000 mt storage for fuel, gasoline and oil.